Secondary link: http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/gap-inc-puts-gap-back-in-logo/?scp=1&sq=gap%20logo&st=cse
In March, Starbucks will change its logo. They will be removing the words "Starbucks" and "coffee" from the logo in an attempt to revitalize the brand. As a semi-regular (1-2 cups per every 1-2 weeks) customer, I haven't noticed a change in product or service at all, ever. For me, its always been the same thing, since I started going to Starbucks. I guess I'm surprised that a minor logo change gets this much attention. What's also surprising to me is the fact that there were comments of "outrage" over the logo change. Perhaps surprising is a strong word. Enlightening may be more appropriate. Do Starbucks, or customers in general, align themselves that closely with a brand? Do customers actually think that if Starbucks changes their brand identity via a logo change, that they lose their identity?
Why did Starbucks change their logo? Do you think that the logo change is meaningful? Do customers have a reason to be outraged, or is this over-hyped media looking for something to write about? Is it a trailing marker of the final steps of a strategy, or the first steps of an implementation?
Interesting article Will, I have to admit that I'm not much of a Starbucks drinker but I do believe that people do align themselves with a brand. From personal experience I see how some people wouldn't be caught dead with a Dunkin Donuts cup, and only stop at the next Starbucks.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I don't really know what Starbucks is trying to achieve with re-working their logo. People will still equate the starbucks experience with a green mermaid. If Starbucks was to change their service style and product offerings along with the logo change then the consumer might associate something different.
It would be interesting to learn more about the research findings that lead Starbucks to make the logo change. Specifically, what return they are expecting. I agree that customers align themselves with a brand but I don't think that such a small visual change to the logo will increase brand loyalty or number of customers. Will, your suggestion that this may be the 1st step of a new strategy is a good one. Perhaps they are working to make their stores more than just coffeehouses and more like competitors such as Panera that offer a wide variety of cafe sandwiches, coffee and pastries.
ReplyDeletethis is an interesting article, not because I am a loyal Starbucks customer. I agree it would be interesting to know more of the rationale of Starbucks's decision to change the logo, especially their logo seems to be the greatest brand image, and their biggest brand equity. It would be interesting to learn on what ground in terms of marketing strategy and financially what kind of return, or market/customer segmentation they are targeting, etc...
ReplyDelete